Thursday, February 28, 2008

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!

Oh. My. God.

Ok... so there are alot of exciting things happeing in my life at the moment.

Probably the most exciting though... is that i'm going on a trip around Australia for 10 weeks...
This is AWESOME for a number of reasons...
a) I get to spend 10 weeks with some of the most fun people I know -my boyfriend, one of my best friends, her husband-to-be, her brother and his wife.
b) I have 10 weeks off work. Seriously... 10 whole weeks. I only just got ACTUAL permission from my boss (dad) for this on Monday... so despite having been planning this for aaaages, it was never actually REAL until this week! NO WORK FOR 10 WEEKS. YiPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
c) I get to see soooo many places around this great land of ours that i have never been to. Seriously... i got out a huge map of northern Australia the other day (I'm flying to Weipa and meeting the crew there, then going up Cape York, across to Darwin & Kakadu, down to El Questro and the Bungle Bungles, and across to Broome. From Broome, up to Cape Leveque, back and across to Alice Springs & Ayers Rock, down to Adelaide and finally home to Melbourne).

It's bizarre you know... how many Australians have never seen Australia. I mean... we've all been to most of the capital cities, but I'm talking about what's beyond the city lights. Most twenty-somethings are so keen to make what now seems to be a rite-of-passage overseas for a few months or a year, but they could often much more easily (and much more cheaply!) spend months travelling around Australia. My sister and my mum in particular have said to me many, many times, "why don't you go to Europe... you could spend the same amount of money and see sooo much more. You'll love it there." From this comment alone, it's obvious how little either of them have seen of Australia. I don't doubt I would enjoy Europe, but for me, that will come later.

We have an amazingly beautiful and diverse country here people...

WHY do most people want to see so little of it?????

No comments: