Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Feast vs. Famine

For what seems like forever, I've had very little to do. Actually, when I think about it more closely, it hasn't been forever, but it has been a few months. Basically since I came back to work after our wedding and honeymoon. It's funny how the less you have to do, the longer it seems to take. I'm possibly experiencing the much spoken about "post-wedding depression," but I think there's more to it than that. I'm someone who likes to be busy. In fact, often I'm busy to the point of ridiculous. I plan things, I organise things, to the point where at various stages I have to actually plan to do nothing. If I'm not busy, I get sad. I have too much time to think. Lately I've been like that because I've had a massive void in my life... hours and hours to fill with mindless nonsense. That time has been Monday to Friday, generally between about 8am and 4.30pm.

WHAT? I hear you say. Are those not the typical "work hours". Yes they are. You are correct dear friends. I've had nothing to do at work. As a combination of a restructure, post-end of financial year (read: post-projects finishing) and general timing issues, I've been floating. It's been a veritable famine of work.

However, in looking at my calendar for the next 2 1/2 weeks until I go away, I am either away or out of the office for every day except one. From one extreme to the other. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased I'm going to be busy. I'm actually really, really looking forward to it. I just wish that I hadn't had to endure the famine in order to get to the feast. Now I just hope that once I'm back from holidays, the fun will continue!



No comments: