Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My excitement is quite sad really.

One of the big highlights of living with my parents is cable tv and really fast internet with an (almost) unreachable download limit. I'm not much of a "watch tv at normal primetime" type person. I tend to download series of shows and watch them until 2am 4 nights in a row, thus getting through the whole season in one week. This is a very satisfying way to watch these series (at least, in an instant gratification kind of way). I suspect, however, that a large part of the anticipation is lost when you don't have to wait a week between episodes to find out what's going to happen next.

Currently I am hooning my way through the West Wing. Australian television viewers were, apparently, screwed over on numerous occasions as to the screening of this brilliant series. I, however, never really watched it much. I downloaded seasons 5, 6 & 7, and am almost finished season 7, which also happens to be the end of the series (I think). Last night I experienced the tv moment that, for me, has been about the most anticipated of my entire tv-series-watching life. Seriously, the build up to this moment has been going on for about 4 or 5 seasons. Throughout these last two seasons this moment has been so close you could almost touch it, and yet kept being snatched away: people disappearing for whole episodes at a time, people having fights, people turning away when they should have kept walking, and people almost dying.

So when it finally occurred, i found myself whooping with joy and actually punching the air. Yes, that's right, I was lying in bed and started jumping around with a big grin on my face.

So.... do you want me to tell you what happened?



Do you want me to tell you why I was so excited?




.....




Oh come on. You know you do.





Ok. (beware this contains a spoiler for the last season of the West Wing, so if you haven't seen it and you intend to, stop reading now!).





Donna Moss and Josh Lyman FINALLY got together.



OH MY GOD FINALLY...

Now over the past couple of months that I have been watching the West Wing, I have developed a little crush on Josh Lyman. Don't laugh. Seriously, brains and wit. One of the most powerful political minds in the (fictional) United States with a tendency to be excitable and angry and passionate. What doesn't this guy have going for him? I know he's fictional, but i sincerely wish he wasn't. So, Josh Lyman, a tribute to you.


(I tried to put a photo of the happy couple in here, but it doesn't seem to be working...)

As I think about what i've just written, and how much I've obsessed over Josh and Donna all morning, I've begun to think that I'm actually just a tad sad. Just like I was almost in tears when Logan left for Europe at the end of the most recent Gilmore Girls last season, and when that heart patient Denny died at the end of Grey's anatomy after Izzy tried to make him worse to get him a heart transplant. Is it just me, or does everybody get this involved in the stories they watch? I really do sometimes forget that it's not real. Oh dear. I need to start sleeping at 3am instead of watching tv shows.

And don't even get me started on my most recent obsession with Girls of the Playboy Mansion (also known as The Girls Next Door). Perhaps I'll save that for another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear they finally get together!!!

kiki said...

as an advocate of not watching much tv, i'd have to be leaning towards the 'sad' side

but it doesn't really matter. as long as you're enjoying it, it's not impeding on your social / work life and it's not illegal. then who really has any right to say anything non?