Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Drifting

Lately I feel as though i've been drifting apart from many people. They are people that whom I adore, who I have, at various stages, been the best of friends with. On the flip side of this, i have become much closer with "newer" friends. I know it happens... as we grow up, friendship groups tend to grow apart somewhat... but the thing is, I don't feel that I've grown apart from these people... we've just, through lack of seeing each other, which is mainly through lack of time, which is due to many reasons, drifted apart.

Sometimes I feel like blaming the fact that most of my friends now have girlfriends and boyfriends, so less time to spend with their "old" friends. and to a certain extent I think this is true... their priorities have changed, whereas I am still single, so mine have not. But i can't blame it fully on that... Due to work, uni, sport, or any other of the commitments we all have, they have less time, they make less effort to see me. I have less time, I make less effort to see them, and suddenly I realise that a year later I almost never see or talk to them, and in fact hardly know them any more.

And this is just the people I was close with.... there were people in my "group" of friends that I wasn't close to, that I didn't know very well, but still enjoyed seeing around and talking to at parties etc. Incidental friends. And now, i really never see them at all. I miss seeing them, but how does one go about getting those friendships back...

I love my friends, all of them. Some of them, for whatever reason (usually proximity and having common activities) I see much more often, but it doesn't mean I love any less the ones i don't see as often any more. What i'm afraid of, is that one day, we will just stop being friends, but I'm just kind of at a loss as to how to amend the situation, and so I just keep drifting.

4 comments:

ariki said...

Hi Tam, just wanted to say....LOVE YOU. It's so interesting reading your thoughts. I'll have to keep my blog more up to date....

Tammiodo said...

thankyou dearest :) it's awesome to hear from you.

BEVIS said...

Please check your email. You may have to look through your junk mail folder or something. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

T... as a friend of the "busy" persuasion I have to say that to an extent people can drift away, but there are others who you can see every couple of years and still be very good friends with - think of some of your friends you met in Canada for instance. Having said that, I'll see you this weekend!