Friday, July 28, 2006

lurve in a cup

I absolutely, totally, utterly and completely adore coffee. I used to hate it: when I was in year 12 at school, the trendy thing to do was to drink coffee in the year 12 common room. It was a privilege to have it there, so you were SO not cool if you didn’t take advantage of it… I, however, drank milo at recess. I didn’t like coffee.

Somewhere along the line though, “going for coffee” turned from having hot chocolates into actually drinking real coffee. Now I am in love with it. It’s not that I am addicted to it, or can’t live without it. I don’t NEED it to get started in the morning. No, I just like the taste.

I can completely sympathise with people who don’t like coffee at all (there aren’t many of you around…even my dear eldest sister drinks a very weak latte occasionally), but I absolutely can’t understand people who put sugar in their coffee. It makes the coffee taste like sweet milk, instead of the beautiful, rich but not too bitter taste. Don’t get me wrong, I love sweet things, but not coffee. Or tea for that matter.

So without further ado, here is the list of things I used not to like, but now find myself regularly partaking of:

Coffee
Tea
Red wine
Alcohol in which you can taste the alcohol
Brussell sprouts (not regularly, but I do like them a lot more than I used to)


And the things that I still don’t like, but would like to like, but can’t stand the thought of:

Seafood.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My latest, "I used not like but now I like" food is Rochefort cheese.

Before that it was uncooked salami.

mskp said...

olives, anchovies, blue cheese, sashimi, smoked mackerel, and lemon tart all would have once been met with disdain. now, i think they're heavenly.


what's the verdict on the travel plans, lady loo?

Tammiodo said...

ooh ooh olives and blue cheese used to be on my horrid list too... now i love them. I've ALWAYS loved lemon tart though!

As for the travel plans, I think you're right mskp. I will give myself some time (probably towards the end of next year) and go overseas, and just wander. I'm don't need to be in a hurry to be a grownup.

kiki said...

i used to not like but now like the same as your first three

coffee tea and red wine

now i love them

i used to like, but now dislike tequila

i wished i liked tofu, but i just don't really

p.s. i'm back in the country now

Unknown said...

Anchovies are trully awesome. My chef buddy tells me there's these special uber gourment spanish one you can get at gourmet stores that are simply divine. I'm yet to try them.

mskp said...

you know something evilly good you can do with anchovies? melt a big hunk of butter in a pan, chuck in a few anchovies, let them melt down and disappear; repeat. until you have anchovy butter, which you can now throw cooked pasta in and toss about. OR, you can pour it into a little mould, refrigerate, and then spoon a dollop onto a cooked steak. SO. GOOD.

richardwatts said...

I love the romance of coffee. Sadly, I still find it undrinkable.

Anonymous said...

Things I now like but used not to a hundred years ago:

avocado
red wine
coffee
broccoli
olives

opposite of that:

peanut butter, jam and mayonnaise sandwiches
margarine on a spoon

Yeah...i'm kind of glad I've passed those last stages.

Tammiodo said...

Oh Audrey DEAR that's TERRIBLE... I was reading along thinking, hmm that's not too bad peanut butter and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT GIRL THINKING?