Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"And....Action"

Do you ever wonder what happens on tv when a scene ends after a particularly awkward and cringe-worthy conversation has just taken place? Do you thinkg to yourself, "hmm I wonder how on earth he/she/it got out of that one."

I was pondering this last night while watching Will & Grace (one of my favourite mindless shows, largely because it's often on foxtel when nothing else is on). It made me realise something: while I'm watching people on tv, I forget that they're acting. I forget that i'm not ACTUALLY watching their REAL lives, and that when the cameras stop rolling, they don't have to somehow back themselves out of an awkward corner, and retreat with their tail between their legs, and fervently hope that they don't run into awkward-conversation-partner on the street somewhere.

I think this particularly stuck with me, because I often get myself into awkward situations. I have a habit of not thinking particularly carefully about HOW i'm going to say what I want to say, which means it just comes out wrong, people misunderstand whatI was trying to say, and give me funny looks with their head cocked to the side. Trying to explain what I really meant often only exacerbates the situation, leaving people thinking that I truly am either quite crazy or particularly crass (whereas it's really somewhat of a combination of the two, with some good looks, charm and personality mixed in). I often wish that, just like on tv, someone would yell CUT, and I could go back to my lovely dressing room and have rampant sex with my sexy co-star.

Oh for my life to be on tv.

6 comments:

BEVIS said...

"Oh for my life to be on tv."

It is!!

BEVIS said...

(Sort of.)

BEVIS said...

I'm talking about Big Blogger, btw. Just in case you're drawing a blank.

Tammiodo said...

not drawing a blank at all... quite the opposite, i'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!!

BEVIS said...

Ouch. That stings, then!

Sorry. It wasn't a conspiracy, I promise!

Tammiodo said...

ooh funny thing is... i said eagerly awaiting the next instalment, then i looked, and i was exicted.

:(