Friday, August 18, 2006

Ow.

I have recently returned to the gym after a rather long hiatus. and by rather long i mean going from swimming 70kms a week and running 40kms a week to sitting on my arse doing nothing for four years. Earlier this year i got into going to the gym semi-regularly... and then I went to Japan to go skiing, and things all went downhill after that (no pun intended). I really struggle going to the gym at 9pm after a 13 hour day of work. Not surprising really, but not really a sufficient excuse either. So i'm back into it. I'm back into doing things.

Last weekend i started dancing... Best.Fun.I've.Ever.Had.With.My.Clothes.On. Seriously.

Then on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday i swam each night. And last night, i went to the gym and trained for an hour and a half with my best friend who happens to be a personal trainer. I think i used every piece of equipment in that gym. Twice. I've decided i'm going to get hot for summer. I've also decided it's going to hurt.* Today, my legs, my butt, my shoulders, my arms, my back... they are all sore. The trouble is that I know my muscles don't REALLY stiffen up and get sore for about 30-36 hours after I train. So for them to be sore now, means that by tomorrow morning, i'm seriously not going to be able to move at all.

Tonight i'm doing a spin class. Whoever invented spin must be one of the craziest (and possibly richest) kids on the block. I like to imagine their thought process as something like this:
"Lets get a group of 30 crazy people to sit on a bike and sweat for an hour in the tiniest room possible on THE most uncomfortable seat imagineable, and be shouted at by a skinny, hot and suntanned woman. Lets spread the myth that this class burns a million calories, and that if you do it twice a week you will look just like the skinny, hot and suntanned woman shouting at you."

I'm slightly concerned that I might get dizzy, due to my complete lack of fitness, and fall off the bike. However, i wont' REALLY fall off... i'll just get halfway to the ground and jolt to a stop because my feet won't come out of those stupid little racing shoe feet cleat things, and the pedals won't stop moving. Chances are, nobody will actually notice I'm unconscious, just as long as the pedals keep moving.

I'll let you know if i'm still alive on monday.

Have a lovely weekend everybody.

ooh one more thing: I just met my first real-life blog person. The adorable Kiki and I discovered we work just around the corner from each other, and had lunch today. Does this make me a proper e-nerd? Can i join the club?

*NB I'm not particularly enamoured of the fact that it's going to hurt, but it is just that, a fact.

3 comments:

Enny said...

I nearly threw up the first time I did spin (they were only 1/2 hour classes) but after a few weeks I was loving it (AFTER the ass callouses(sp?!) settle in)!

kiki said...

NERD!

mskp said...

ONE OF US...

ONE OF US...

[repeat and fade]