Friday, May 05, 2006

The past now.

It's Friday afternoon. The week's nearly over. Thank God.

Has anyone else ever noticed just how depressing much of The Whitlams music is? Don't get me wrong - i love them. I think Tim Freedman has one of the sexiest voices around. It just seems to me that every time I listen to their music I get all nostalgic... and often this equates to being ever-so-slightly depressed.

"All my friends are fuck-ups, but they're fun to have around." (You Sound Like Lois Burdette)

I think i'm the person that people say that about... oh she's the fucked up one. But at least if ALL their friends are fuck-ups, i'm not alone.

Music always evokes a very strong reaction in me - extremes of emotion. Over the years have almost always had a song with which i'm obsessed... at all times. Now when I hear those same songs, even years later, I am reminded of what was happening in my life at the time I had each track on repeat. I can tell you how old I was, what time of year it was (usually to at least the month), and why I loved it then, what it made me feel. Those emotions are almost inevitably unchanged now.

I can be driving along the freeway with the radio on, one of these songs will come on and i will feel an inexplicable rush of confusion and uncertainty: not related to anything in my life now, but from 5 or 10 years ago when i loved the song. Sometimes these songs were related to happy memories, and i get hyperactive and giggly. I guess everyone has reactions to certain things from their past. My just find music is the most evoctive for me.

No comments: