Tuesday, May 30, 2006

To walk or not to walk.

One of my friend's husbands just ruptured his achilles tendon. He's in hospital waiting to have surgery as I write this. He's going to be in hospital for a few days, but once he's out, he's not allowed to put any weight on it for 6 weeks. After that he's on crutches for another 6 weeks.

That's a total of 3 months of not being able to walk.
3 months of being reliant on other people to help you get around.
3 months of not going for a walk outside.
3 months of not being able to do the shopping.
3 months of not being able to play footy or ski.
3 months of not being able to drive.

Plus, it's not as if he'll have full use of it back the instant that 3 months is up. Extensive physio and remedial massage will slowly rebuild the strength of the tendon over the following months, but it may never be quite the same again.

It made me think. I feel cooped up sometimes, cornered into my life, but at least I can do things for myself. I can go out dancing. I can go for a drive. I can go for a walk along the beach.

My life's really not so tough.

1 comment:

kiki said...

when i was younger and used to play basketball, i saw a kid snap his

it made me dry-reach cause you could see it had rolled up and bulging out the top of his calf, and the screams...