Wednesday, May 17, 2006

So i asked myself...

Have we grown up too quickly?
Do we all take ourselves too seriously?
Why is there no joy in small things any more?

These questions have all been provoked by a toy. Yes, that's right, a toy. Sitting on the other side of my wall at work is a singing reindeer in a yellow raincoat. I'm well aware that this is not your average piece of office furniture, but that's not the point. The reindeer sings "Singin' in the Rain" when people press it's foot, or belly or other random part of it's anatomy. Actually, i'm quite sure that sometimes it just spontaneously bursts into song - but that's not the point. It sings loudly, and often. It's annoying. People IT'S ANNOYING. OK?

The thing that got me thinking is, I love that song. I often hum away to myself in the shower, often it's that song. I like the Michael Buble version of that song.
So why is it that I get so annoyed when a cheerful, happy, children's toy reminds me of things i like?
I don't know.
Am i too busy to be happy?
Are innocent songs and toys no longer enough? The simple joys and all that rubbish.

There you have it. It's bollocks. It's rubbish. It's a waste of time. It has no use in my busy, busy life.

I have things to do, people to see. I don't need simple joys, I need sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. I need a big fat paycheque. I need fast cars. I need new shoes. I need expensive holidays, i need adventure sports. I need loud grungey music.

And if i'm not doing any of those things, I need sleep.

So, why don't i splash in puddles like a small child any more? BECAUSE MY FRICKEN FEET GET WET. THESE ARE FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR SHOES YOU FREAK.

No comments: